- 46 full-color, full-page (11″ x 8.5″) landscape format maps, 8 pages of full-color orders-of-battle, sidebars, appendices, index. 128 pages, hardcover.
- New information not previously published in map form, including Grant’s early life and his pre-Civil War career.
- Different tints of red and blue differentiate commands – unique to our maps and essential to understanding command relationships in complex battles – colors tints help separate multiple units of the same side on a single map, making the action easier to understand.
- 3 orders-of-battle are similarly coded to the same command colors on the maps.
- Lavish color maps with a shaded relief show the shape of the terrain.
- Strategic overview maps place regional operations and battles in context.
- Concise text, supported by quotations from participants and observers.
- Original artwork by Keith Rocco!